Another Tasty Recipe From
Whole Spelt Zucchini Bread
Posted On May 21, 2019
There's little better in the middle of summer than a loaf of freshly baked Zucchini Bread. This time of year it's hard to not run into zucchini anywhere you turn in the grocery store or the farmers markets. Unfortunately, even with a vegetable in the mix, most zucchini bread recipes aren't really that great for you with lots of butter and lots of sugar.
This recipe is the result of attempting to make a healthier and more nutritious zucchini bread - while still keeping that wonderfully sweet bite. The combination of 100% whole spelt flour and applesauce (in place of the butter) work to make this loaf delightfully moist and not dense at all!! Yes, there's still sugar but not nearly as much as in a typical loaf. This recipe is sure to be your new go-to for zucchini bread!!
Looking to make a vegan zucchini bread? All you have to do is swap out the two eggs for two "vegan flax eggs." A great substitute for baking - a flax egg is the combination of 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed mixed with 3 tablespoons of water. Therefore, in this recipe, you'd sub with 2 tbsp. ground flax seed and 6 tablespoons of water.
|2 tsp||baking powder|
|1/4 tsp||baking soda|
|2 tsp||ground cinnamon|
|1/2 tsp||ground nutmeg|
|1 tsp||kosher salt|
|3||medium zucchini (grated)|
|3/4 cup||white sugar|
|1/2 cup||brown sugar|
|3/4 cup||applesauce (unsweetened)|
|1/2 cup||chopped walnuts or chocolate chips (optional)|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using your food processor, grate the zucchini. Scoop out the grated zucchini onto several layers of paper towel (or a cheese cloth) and gently squeeze out excess moisture. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer combine whole spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the eggs, sugars, vanilla and applesauce. Set aside.
- Pour the grated zucchini into the flour mixture and stir until it is mixed in. While the mixer is running on low, pour in the liquid and mix just until thoroughly combined. Stir in chopped walnuts or chocolate chips.
- Pour into bread pan (make sure to spray if not non-stick) and bake in the oven for 45 to 55 minutes. Test with a toothpick for done-ness (it should come out clean).