Another Tasty Recipe From
Spelt Zucchini Bread
Posted On August 24, 2021
Vegan Spelt Zucchini Bread with Warm Spices, Walnuts and Chocolate
Spelt zucchini bread with warm spices, walnuts, and chocolate is the most delicious way to eat your vegetables. Naturally sweetened and vegan!
|1 1/4 cups||shredded zucchini (roughly 1 medium zucchini)|
|1 teaspoon||baking powder|
|1 teaspoon||baking soda|
|1/2 teaspoon||fine sea salt|
|1 teaspoon||ground cinnamon|
|1/4 teaspoon||ground cardamom|
|1/4 teaspoon||ground nutmeg|
|3/4 cup||coconut palm sugar|
|3/4 cup||unsweetened apple sauce|
|1/3 cup||neutral-tasting oil of choice (avocado, sunflower, refined coconut, etc. )|
|1 1/2 teaspoons||vanilla extract|
|1/2 cup||walnut halves, chopped|
|1/2 cup||dairy-free chocolate chunks or chips|
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 8×4 loaf pan and then line it with parchment paper. Lightly grease the parchment as well and set aside.
- Gather the shredded zucchini in a clean kitchen towel. Over the sink, gather up the edges of the towel and squeeze out as much moisture/water from the zucchini as you can. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg.
- In a medium bow, whisk together the coconut palm sugar, apple sauce, oil, and vanilla extract. Add this wet mixture to the larger bowl with the flour mixture. Using a rubber spatula, mix until just combined with a few little streaks of flour.
- Add the shredded and wrung out zucchini to the batter along with the walnuts and chocolate chunks. Fold these items in until they are evenly distributed.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and flatten the top of the loaf. Bang the filled loaf tin on the counter a few times to fully settle the batter.
- Bake the vegan spelt zucchini bread for 60-70 minutes, or until a toothpick/paring knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the zucchini bread from the oven and let it cool in the loaf pan on a wire rack.
- Let the zucchini bread cool completely before removing from the pan and slicing.
- You could easily substitute the following flours 1-to-1 for the light spelt: whole wheat pastry flour, whole kamut flour, whole wheat flour or whole grain spelt flour (being mindful of the fact that whole grain flours will make the loaf more dense), all purpose flour, and gluten-free all purpose flour
- You can substitute the coconut palm sugar with regular cane sugar or brown sugar here. I don’t think maple syrup or agave nectar is a great idea as we really need the structure from a granulated sweetener. Since we have a lot of wet components in this loaf (apple sauce and the zucchini), the granulated sweetener helps us avoid a gummy texture.