Another Tasty Recipe From
Spelt Flour Pie Crust
Posted On May 21, 2019
Spelt pie crusts are absolutely delicious and bring many nutritional benefits to a dessert. It is a healthy grain that is easily digested and adds lots of protein and vitamins to a dish. We hope you enjoy the many health benefits of spelt in your favorite pies this Fall season!
|1 tsp||pink salt|
|2 tbsp||powdered honey|
|2 1/2 sticks||unsalted butter|
|5 to 6 tbsp||ice water|
- In a food processor, or a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, and powdered honey. Add your butter and pulse on and off until your mixture combines.
- Add 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water in between pulsing and continue until just combined. Add more water if needed.
- If using a large bowl, to make the dough, cut in your butter until pea sized chuncks form and add water until it's all combined.
- The dough should hold together but not be super sticky.
- On a floured surface, divide your dough and pat into 2 equal disks. Roll out the first half of the dough into a 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick circle.
- Transfer to a greased pie pan. Roll the other half of the dough to the same thickness. This is the top of your pie to be used after you fill your shell with the desired filling.
- You can leave the dough in a circle, don't forget to use your knife to cut a few slits in the top, seal the seams together, and flute the edges to make it pretty!
- Cover pie with a sheet of aluminum foil and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, cut into slices.