Another Tasty Recipe From
Potato Latkes with Spelt Flour
Posted On November 29, 2022
These classic potato latkes are made with spelt flour and pan-fried in avocado oil.
The classic latkes are a mixture of potatoes, onions, eggs, flour and light seasoning, and the perfect savory dish.
Servings: 12 latkes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
|2 medium||potatoes (peeled)|
|1 small||yellow onion|
|1 1/2 tsp||salt|
|avocado oil or light olive oil for frying|
|applesauce or sour cream to top|
- Grate your potatoes and onion with a box grater or food processor grating blade.
- Put the mixture into a thin dish rag or cheese cloth and squeeze out as much of the liquid as you can. If you don’t have either, take one handful of the mixture at a time between your hands and squeeze out the liquid. Place back into the bowl and repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Once the liquid is squeezed out, add in the egg, flour, salt & pepper to the bowl and mix well.
- Heat a large skillet with 1-2 tbsp avocado oil on medium/low heat. Once hot, pour 1/4 cup of the mixture into the pan to form a pattie, and flatten it down with a spatula or back of the measuring cup. Cook 3-4 at a time, depending on the size of your pan.
- Cook each latke for 2 minutes on one side, then flip for additional minute. Transfer to a cooling rack as you prep the rest of the latkes. Add in more oil as needed between each batch.
- Serve fresh with toppings of choice!