Another Tasty Recipe From
Peach Pie with Spelt Crust
Posted On April 10, 2019
|1||Whole Grain Spelt Crust (see below)|
|4 cups||peaches, peeled and sliced|
|2 tablespoons||fresh lemon juice|
|1/4 cup||whole grain spelt flour|
|1 cup||organic cane sugar|
|1/2 teaspoon||ground cinnamon|
|1/4 teaspoon||ground nutmeg|
|Whole Grain Spelt Crust|
|1 1/3 cup||whole grain spelt flour|
|1/2 teaspoon||organic cane sugar|
|1 stick||cold, unsalted butter (cut into 1//2 inch cubes)|
|3-5 tablespoons||ice water|
Peach Pie with Whole Grain Spelt Crust
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- To make the filling, place the peaches in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle with the lemon juice. Gently mix together. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Pour it over the peaches and mix gently.
- Spoon the filling into the center of the dough. Scatter slices of the one tablespoon of butter around the filling. Fold the edges of the crust around the filling and pinch together to create a “pouch.” Brush the crust with some of the egg mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes, until the crust is brown and juices are bubbling. Allow to cool before serving.
Whole Grain Spelt Crust
- To make the crust, process the flour, salt and sugar in a food processor until combined. Add the butter to the flour mixture and pulse in one second intervals until the butter bits are the size of small peas (about 10 pulses). Place the mixture in a medium mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of the ice water and fold into the mix. Using floured hands or a spatula, press down on the mixture until the dough sticks together. Add another one or two tablespoons of water if needed. Flatted the dough into a 4-inch disk and refrigerate for at least one hour before rolling it out.
- To roll out, form the dough into a ball and place it on a floured piece or parchment paper. Top with another piece of parchment paper and roll with a rolling pin. Peel off the top piece of paper and place the parchment paper with the dough onto a cookie sheet for baking. Chill, covered with parchment paper, until ready to use. Bring to room temperature before baking.