Another Tasty Recipe From
Baked Spelt with Butternut Squash
Posted On November 11, 2019
When the air begins to get that crisp chill to it, warm comforting dishes are just the ticket to happy tummies and hearts. Healthy warm, comforting dishes can be tricky to find but when you bake spelt berries with butternut squash the result is perfect! Baked Spelt with Butternut Squash, it combines the savory herbs and hearty whole grain spelt berries with the light sweetness of the butternut squash. It's warm. It's comforting. It's healthy.
Baked spelt dishes like this one are also extremely versatile! It can hold it’s own as a vegan main dish but is also delicious paired with so many other options. Do you have meat-eaters in your family to please? Cook some italian sausage while it bakes in the oven, then serve the sausage on top of the baked spelt. It’s also dinner party perfect along side of a roasted chicken and beautiful salad.
Baked Spelt with Butternut Squash is sure to find a perfect home in your fall and winter dinner rotation!
|3 tbsp||extra virgin olive oil (divided)|
|1/2||medium yellow onion (diced)|
|1 1/2 tbsp||fresh sage or rosemary (chopped and divided) (use either herb or combination)|
|1/2 tsp||kosher salt|
|1 1/3 cup||spelt berries|
|3 cups||vegetable broth|
|1 1/2 to 2 cups||butternut squash (cubed)|
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a medium bowl, combine squash with 1 tbsp olive oil, ½ tbsp herb mixture, and a pinch of kosher salt. Stir to coat completely and set aside.
- In a dutch oven (or other oven safe pot with lid) saute diced onion in remaining 2 tbsp olive oil over medium high heat until soft. Season with salt & remaining fresh herbs and stir in spelt berries. Toast spelt for 1 to 2 minutes stirring constantly. Pour in vegetable broth, stir, and bring to a simmer.
- Cover pot with lid and place in oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Open pot carefully, add squash on top of spelt, replace lid and bake for another 30 minutes or until the spelt berries are tender. Remove lid, stir, and bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Stir and serve warm.