Another Tasty Recipe From
Apple Hand Pies
Posted On September 25, 2018
These delicious apple hand pies have a light crispy spelt crust!
This recipe uses shortening to make a vegan spelt crust. If you prefer, use a double batch of our all butter Easy Spelt Pie Crust instead.
Hand pies are the perfect way to make a comforting pie with only three apples - perfect for serving to a crowd - the perfect individual snack (or dessert)!
|Shortening (very cold)
|4 to 5 tbsp
|Apples (cored & diced small)
|Dark brown sugar
|Apple pie spice
|Fresh lemon juice
- With a dough cutter or food processor mix spelt flour, salt and sugar together.
- Cut in shortening until coarsely combined. Add in water a tablespoon at a time until dough comes together. Turn out dough onto a work surface and shape into a disk. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refridgerate for 1 hour to 2 days.
- In a large skillet combine diced apples, sugar, apple pie spice, corn starch and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until apples are soft. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove dough from fridge and divide in half. On a floured work surface, roll out dough and cut into 5 inch rounds using a large circular cookie cutter or an upside down bowl that is about 5 inches in diameter. Continue rolling and cutting dough until 12 rounds are cut.
- Place pies on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Cut small slits in each pie to release steam during baking. Then brush each pie with egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, rotating halfway through baking.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Use this vegan spelt crust recipe and technique to make other hand pies with a variety of fruit fillings or even a savory filling!!